SSC INTERVIEW – WHAT TO WEAR
If you know what to wear and how to dress adequately you’ve already won half the battle. The old adage, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression has never been truer.
When you’re going for the SSC interview, your appearance is extremely important. Whether or not you look professional or sloppy could play a huge role in whether your interviewer feels that you are suitable for the job.
There are certain things which you should keep in mind while deciding what to wear for your SSC interview:-
1. Check out the company culture –
- When first deciding what to wear for the SSC interview, you should first take into consideration the culture of the company you are interviewing with and dress accordingly. Are you interviewing with a company where the employees wear suits everyday or do they wear tshirt and jeans? A suit is not always the best choice for a job interview. If you show up wearing a suit and tie and all the employees are wearing shorts and flip flops, you will look out ofplace feel uncomfortable and may give off the wrong energy. The same is true of the opposite siituation.
- The industry you are interviewing for should also be taken into consideration for example the dress code for an accounting firm is likely to be different than that of a contruction firm.
2. Present yourself neatly
- Make sure your clothes are clean and neatly ironed. Nothing gives away the lack of attention to detail more than wrinkled or dirty clothing. Select clothing that fits properly, as ill-fitting clothing can appear scruffy and you wearing clothes that fit will help you to feel comfortable and relax in your interview.
- Good grooming and hygiene is essential, so make sure you have clean hair, fingernails, fresh breath, deodorant, etc. Hair should be styled in a neat but manageable style, as the last thing you want to be doing during the SSC interview is stressing about your fancy new up-do coming unpinned, however I recommend you keep it pulled back from your face. Men, if you have facial hair, be sure to give it a trim/comb through ahead of the SSC interview, so that you look as neat and tidy as possible.
- Perfume and aftershave should be used sparingly, so that it is not overpowering and the same goes for makeup, that should be kept subtle. Don’t wear flashy jewellery, as it may become distracting and you’ll want the interviewer to pay attention to you, not your bling.
3. Accessorize smartly –
- You can inject a bit of personality into your outfit with the accessories that you select, so if you’d rather play it safe with your outfit choice, why no pair it with a nice bag or pair of shoes?
- Accessories should be kept smart, so if you are taking a bag with you, a smart satchel, briefcase or handbag would be the better option over a backpack.
- Shoes should be clean and newish looking. Keep heels at a sensible height.
4. Avoid loud prints
- It’s good to show a bit of personality in your outfit choice, however it is best to stick to block colours, rather than loud, busy prints. Don’t be afraid of going for a slightly brighter shade, as it can help you to stand out and appear more confident. Try to find a balance between smart and stylish.
- Novelty ties and socks are best avoided. Yes, the interviewer will notice!
Next we list appropriate outfit choices you could consider putting on for your SSC interview :-
- Suit (solid colour)
- Long sleeved shirt
- Dark socks, conservative leather shoes
- Neat, professional hairstyle
- Limit the aftershave
- Neatly trimmed nails
- Portfolio or briefcase
- Suit (solid colour) / Saree
- Coordinated Blouse
- Conservative shoes
- Limited Jewellery
- Professional hairstyle
- Light make-up and perfume
- Khakhi, gabardine, or cotton pants neatly pressed
- Cotton long sleeved button down shirts, pressed, polo shirts or knit shirts with a collar
- Leather shoes and belt
- Tie optional
- Khakhi, corduroy, twill or cotton pants or skirts
- Sweaters, cardigans, polo / knit shirts
- Salwar Suit
For more SSC interview blog posts click on the following links :-
LINKS TO OTHER SSC BLOG POSTS SSC INTERVIEW OVERVIEW SSC CGL INTERVIEW TIPS SSC INTERVIEW HOW TO DRESS SSC CGL INTERVIEW QUESTIONS SSC INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE