PM Narendra Modi inaugurates Nobel Prize Series India Exhibition in Gandhinagar
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Nobel Prize Series Exhibition in Gandhinagar, Gujarat. It is the first-of-its-kind conclave of Nobel laureates to be held in India.
2. It has been organised by Nobel Media and coordinated by the Department of Biotechnology. The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under the Union Ministry of Science and Technology and Nobel Media had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for hosting Nobel Prize Series in India for the next 5years in 2016. Later, a trilateral Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the DBT, Gujarat Government and the Nobel Media.
3. Nine Nobel laureates are attending it and interact with students of Indian Universities. The Nobel Prize Series 2017 will feature a five week long Science Exhibition. It is being set up by the Nobel Foundation with exhibits from Nobel Museum at Stockholm, Sweden.
4. One of the 9 Nobel laureates include India-born scientist Dr Venkatraman Ramakrishnan. He won 2009 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work on ribosome structure along with Thomas A Steitz and Ada Yonath.
5. The other eight Nobel laureates are H C Harmut Michel (1988, Chemistry) Harold Varmus (1989, Medicine), Richard J Roberts (1993, Medicine), David J Gross (2004, Physics), Serge Haroche (2012, Physics), Randy Schekman (2013, Medicine), W E Moerner (2014, Chemistry) and Ada Yonath (2009, Chemistry).
6. It aims to bring together Nobel Laureates and other experts and learners with an aim to stimulate innovation and creative thinking. The conference will exhibit various conferences, lectures, exhibitions and roundtables.