Learn about World Hindi Day- 10 January
1. The World Hindi Day is observed annually on 10 January. On this occasion, Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) conducted special events to spread the greatness of the language through its missions abroad.
2. Besides, the Department of Official Language (Rajbhasha) also organises several events to mark this day.
3. The first World Hindi Day was observed on 10 January 2006. This day is in addition to the present National Hindi Divas which is being observed annually on 14 September.
4. It should be noted that World Hindi Day focuses on the promotion of the language at the global stage whereas, the National Hindi Divas is observed across the country at a national level. The National Hindi Divas is observed to mark adaptation of Hindi written in Devanagari script as the Official Language of the Union by the Constituent Assembly on 14 September 1949.
5. Hindi is an Indo-Aryan language, one of the official languages of India, and the first language of the majority of the populace in the Hindi Belt. Outside India, Hindi is an official language in Fiji.
6. After Mandarin, Spanish, and English, Hindi is the fourth most-spoken first language in the world. Hindi is a descendent of Sanskrit. Its words and grammar follows that of the ancient language. In linguistic terms, Hindi belongs to the Indo-Iranian sub-family of the Indo-European family of language.