National News- Daily Digest: 9 Key Updates
1. The Cauvery dispute panel has said that both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu were facing water shortage, leading to unemployment and financial hardship for the people. The panel suggested doing away with outdated and unscientific water application techniques to resolve the matter.
2. The Centre has allowed U.S. based NGO, Compassion International, to disburse funds to 10 NGOs in India, months after it was put on the government’s watch list after security agencies reported that it was funding Indian NGOs involved in religious conversions. The move comes after U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry had expressed concerns over the treatment of the organisation with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj during his India visit in September.
3. Konkan Railway Corporation Ltd (KRCL) has installed solar power plants of various capacities in some stations.
4. Vice-President Hamid Ansari concluded his 3-day visit to Hungary and flew to Algiers on the next leg of the two-nation trip.
5. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched a financial inclusion initiative of Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC) titled ‘Vittshala’. ‘Vittshala’ is a Centre For Community Engagement (CCE) initiative, aimed at making communities equipped enough to manage financial resources effectively through community engagement, workshops, seminars and discussions. It is founded by a group of teachers and students. The Cell wants to create an impact through its well-planned, community-oriented projects.
6. The transgenders, associated with Noida-based NGO Basera, and law students have teamed up with the Delhi Traffic Police to impart lessons on road safety to motorists in the New Delhi from October 25. The initiative, which also looks to bring transgenders into the mainstream, is the brainchild of Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DSLSA).
7. Indian Army has opened a new bank account for welfare of bereaved families of Battle Casualties named “Army Welfare Fund Battle Casualties” in Syndicate Bank.
8. Mobile phones’ company Samsung has signed MoU with UP state government for setting up a manufacturing unit in Uttar Pradesh. Under the agreement, Samsung would be investing Rs 1,970 crore in the state.
9. Human rights activist Irom Sharmila announced the name of her party as ‘People’s Resurgence and Justice Alliance’.