National News-Daily Digest: 6 Key Updates
1. Five States will go to the polls shortly after the presentation of the Union Budget on February 1. While Punjab, Goa, Uttarakhand and Manipur will have a single-day polling, UP is likely to have 7 phases.
2. Opponents of the steel flyover project claimed to have accrued nearly 42,000 votes against the project after their two-day referendum. Having tabulated the “votes” as a mean of showing the political consequences of implementing an “unpopular” project Citizens for Bengaluru claimed that those saying no outnumbered those who had said ‘Yes’ during the Bangalore Development Authority’s public consultation, by nearly 200 times. Of the votes, nearly 10,206 had come from north Bengaluru, where the steel flyover has been proposed. The organisation hopes that these votes would add to the political pressure to scrap the project.
3. The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights has decided to launch public outreach programmes to prevent the abuse of children at crowded places in the National Capital. The NCPCR in collaboration with NGOs and the police will reach out to the public in and around slums and resettlements under the banner of “Jagruk ho, chuppi todo” (be aware, break your silence).
4. The Indian Navy will not be deploying a second Russian nuclear attack submarine in addition to the INS Chakra, a “sub surface nuclear” (SSN) vessel leased from Russia for 10 years. Instead, India is negotiating to lease from Russia will only replace the Chakra, when its 10-year lease expires.
5. The Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) celebrated its 55th raising day on 24 October. The force was raised on 24th October in 1962.
6. Government is planning to fast-track four projects in Indus river basin to increase irrigation area in Jammu and Kashmir by nearly 2.05 lakh acres. Of these four projects, three include Tral Irrigation Project in Pulwama, Prakachik Khows Canal in Kargil and restoration and modernisation of main Ravi Canal in Jammu’s Sambha and Kathua– are expected to be completed by this fiscal. The fourth project of Rajpora Lift Irrigation is planned to be completed by December 2019.